Friday, December 2, 2011

“Let me know if I can do anything.”

Before my health began this rapid decline I worked as a payroll and benefits coordinator. I had close contact with the employees and took pride in my job and the relationships that I had built. There is one thing that always amused me; when people were working, they wanted to be at home. When people had an extended time off for medical issues, vacation, etc., they got tired of being at home and wanted to return to work. Are we ever satisfied?
So many times I heard people say they would love to retire, or wish they had enough money to not work, they would love to have the time to do the things they wanted to do.
But what if you had that time, at home, to do all the things you love to do, but were physically unable to do those things? How would you enjoy “early retirement”?
Life happens. Things we can’t control. So many times I have been asked how I manage to hold it all together when I have to deal with so much. There are times when I fall to pieces, but for the most part I keep my eyes on what matters. I try to keep things in perspective. And I have a person who has inspired me. She was an example of how we should react when faced with trials and hardships.
A few years back, when I was still working, one of our employees’ wife was in an automobile accident. In an instant her life changed. Her entire family was changed. Due to spinal injuries she lost use of her body from the waist down. She lost her job, her income, her independence. She lost so many things that you and I take for granted. She was told she would never walk. Never work. Never drive.
She faced obstacles. Her home was not handicap accessible. Her husband works second shift and she needed someone each night to come help her get into bed. She had rehab and physical therapy. But she fought back, kept her head high and trusted in God’s plan for her life. She inspired me then and she still inspires me to this day.
Through her positive attitude, strength she has drawn from God and hard work, she has gained some of her independence. She is now able to drive a van that has been adapted to her specific needs. That van was not cheap. The payment has placed a financial burden on her family. Still she has stayed positive. One of my earthly heros.
When a person faces tough times, rather it be loss of job, sickness or accidents such as this one, we all say these words, “Let me know if I can do anything.”
Daily I face many obstacles. But I have everything I need. And I certainly have not faced anything like what Barbara has faced. Every day she crosses my mind. It is so painful when I walk, sit or stand. But I tell myself, Barbara would love to walk, even if it caused her pain.
Because I have not needed anything that would put a financial hardship on my family, I don’t ask my family or friends for anything. Many of you have said, “Let me know if I can do anything.” Well, I come to you now, asking, letting you know, this is what you can do for me.
Because Barbara has given me so much encouragement and is a daily reminder to me that God will not put more on me than I can bear, I come to you all today and ask you to help Barbara. She needs to pay-off this van debt. Give up a Latte, one dinner out, those new shoes or just include her on your Christmas gift list. She is accepting donations to pay-off the van. No donation is too small. As I would approach the Throne of Grace, this is how I am approaching you all, I pray for great things to be done.
The address is: Barbara Henderson ~ P.O. 182, Pell City, AL 35125
This is the last note she sent to me:
God is so good honey. I have to give him all the praise. Keep your head up and cherish every moment and don’t forget to give God His Glory. Keep in touch and remember you feel so much better when you smile. ; )
Love you and praying for you, Barbara
Is she amazing, or what!?!?!
We are all so blessed. Even though it is our duty to GIVE every day, this time of year is called The Season of Giving. Please look deep within your heart and give to this person who praises God’s name even in the greatest of storms.
Love and prayers to all,
Skeeter

No comments:

Post a Comment