Sunday, February 26, 2012

THE DUST JACKET

Just a day or so ago I received a comment from a friend that I think of often. His comment reminded me of words that I wrote on my FB “NOTES” tab a while back. My original thoughts were inspired by a lady, Ms. Vallie James, which my friend and I both had the pleasure to meet on a missionary trip. I’m ashamed to admit that my first impression of her was negative. What I mistook for bossiness was actually enthusiasm. Arrogance was an over flowing cup of appreciation. Our group strolled into the International Seamen’s House and before introductions were officially made we were sorting hangers for donated clothes. “Give me a minute to catch my breath”, I thought.

Soon I realized how incredibly wrong I was. Never have I met a person so enthusiastic about her salvation. An attribute I coveted. We also learned that Ms. Vallie was an incredible painter. She sold her art and donated the proceeds to her earthly love, the Seamen’s House. One of her paintings hangs over my bed. I am reminded of her love and service every day.
Our group learned so many things from Ms. Vallie that week and over the years that we returned to the Seamen’s House to give of our time. Of course during those trips we were touched, blessed and received so much more than we gave.
When you deal with chronic pain daily you have time to read (if that’s something you enjoy – which I do). Recently I finished a book with over 800 pages and the cover was beautiful. Currently I am reading a mystery novel. The dust jacket is sleek and shiny black. The title is of gold letters that seem to pop right off the cover. It’s written by a well-known author and I have read almost all of his books. But honestly, I’m a bit disappointed in this book. This tells me that just because most of his books are good, everyone can have a bad day or in this case a bad novel?  It also goes to prove that just because the outside of an item, or the facade of a person, appears radiant and beautiful, the inside can be a total mess. Why do we so often buy a book based on the appearance of the stylish picture perfect dust-jacket? Only later to get home and realize the book’s content does not touch or inspire us.
Have you ever met a person whose “dust-jacket” appeared faded and tattered but later you discovered their content refreshed your body and encouraged your soul? That’s exactly what happened with Ms. Vallie. Soon I looked right through her outer appearance and saw nothing but humility and love.
Life teaches us so much and there are so many lessons to learn if only we will open our minds to comprehend. This sweet little lady from Georgia helped to change my initial opinion of people. Now I look with my heart rather than my eyes.
No matter if my hair shows gray, my weight is not ideal or my clothes are not the latest fashion, I am so thankful that HE looks beyond my “dust-jacket” and knows that I love Him. My prayers for my FB friends and myself is that we read a "book" today whose dust-jacket looks less than desirable. Perhaps we will be touched, inspired or encouraged by its content.
“The Lord does not look at the things man looks at.
Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
I Samuel 16:7
Love and prayers to all,

Skeeter

No comments:

Post a Comment