Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I'm watching God's love grow, heart to heart.

On this day, twenty-three years ago, I experienced the most horrible pains that I had in the past twenty years of my life, child birth. Little did I know the pain on August 30, 1988 was just a drop in the bucket compared to what lay ahead. And little did I know, twenty-three years ago, that God had given me a gift so amazing that it would change my life in so many wonderful ways.
It’s so hard to believe that my 9 pound 5 ounce bundle of joy is now 6 foot 3 inches tall and quite a bit larger than his birth weight. He has a heart bigger than all outdoors, a remarkable love for all living creatures, and the ability to sing so pure and sweet that every time I hear him sing chills run down my spine and tears run down my cheeks. He’s full of facts that are totally useless to the average person (sort of like having our very own Cliff Clavin from the TV series “Cheers”). He can have a short fuse at times (like his mother) and has a helpful and giving spirit (like his dad). He thinks his brother got all of the “funny” genes. But trust me, Zayne is funny and just as full of life as his brother and partner in crime, Zakry. Not to mention, Zayne has a surprisingly funny giggle for a guy his size. It’s hilarious!
Zayne and I danced to a song at his and Irish’s wedding that seemed to have been written just for us. The song is, “Heart To Heart” by Toby Keith. It reminded me of the time when Zayne was three years old, sitting in his high chair and threw a bowl of cereal, milk and all, at me because he “thought” I would laugh. When in fact what I did was quite the opposite of laughter. From the mention of Zayne’s exact height, to our face to face disagreements, to our hugs, kisses, laughter and the fact that he is in fact a “chip off of the old block” and a momma’s boy, this song was perfect. It’s sung from the prospective of the dad who has watched the mother/son relationship evolve over the course of the son’s life. I couldn’t find a good video link and I really wanted you to hear this song. As a very poor replacement, I have typed the lyrics as a birthday tribute to my eldest son, who will always have my heart and my unconditional love.
“Heart To Heart” lyrics: I watched him throw his oatmeal bowl halfway across the kitchen floor. His momma said don't let me see you do that anymore. And he let loose with a cup of orange juice right down the back of her dress. Without a doubt she lined him out then cleaned up the mess. Now he is just a chip off of the old block, just like me, we keep her on her toes a lot. He'll grow to be six foot three, yeah he's gonna be just like me. He'll be tall and play football but he'll always be a momma's boy. ~ And when he cries she'll match him tear for tear. When he laughs she'll grin from ear to ear. When he's wrong they'll stand there face to face. She can put him in his place. Side by side and hand in hand, she'll talk with daddy's little man. He knows that she's done her part. I'm watching God's love grow, heart to heart.
Just like the lyrics in that song, when we laugh our Father is happy, when we cry our Father cries. He holds our hand and he loves us with all His heart.
Thank you God for giving me such a wonderful gift, August 30, 1988. Happy Birthday Zayne!!
“Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above.” ~ James 1:17
Sometimes we have struggles that we don’t understand and we may wonder why me? But at the same time we must remember that God has blessed us with so many gifts we don’t deserve. I have been granted more blessings than I can count. One of those was given to me 23 years ago today.
We can focus on the pain and strife or we can focus on all of the magnificent love that our Father bestows upon us every day. We have decisions to make, decisions that map out the journey of our lives.
"When faced with a decision, many people say they are waiting for God. But I understand, in most cases, God is waiting for me." — Andy Andrews
Love and prayers to all,
Skeeter

No comments:

Post a Comment