Thursday, September 22, 2011

We'd Grab Ours Back

As many of you already know, December 2010, I was diagnosed with Immunoglobulin G Deficiency.
November 29, 2011 I had cervical fusion and shortly thereafter came down with pneumonia. After being admitted to St. Vincent’s Hospital in Birmingham, AL (for years I have had repeated infections and was prescribed antibiotics and steroids) the ER physician went over my medical history and believed me to have IgG deficiency. Viola! He was indeed correct and I was later referred to a Hematologist for additional testing and a plan for treatment.
So my Mother and I make our monthly trek to Brookwood Hospital. She’s driving and I’m in the passenger seat. It never fails, every trip I think the same thing, “Something’s wrong here.” I’m supposed to be driving her to the doctor not the other way around. I feel old and beat down. Should I? I’m only 43!?!
Intravenous immune globulin (IVIG) is made of antibodies that have been extracted from blood donations from 3,000-10,000 healthy donors. IVIG is used to treat many autoimmune disorders, idiopathic diseases (disease of unknown cause), and infections. By providing antibodies to patients who have weakened immune systems, IGIV can help reduce the risk of infection.
Prior to my two bottles of Immunoglobulin G I receive IV Benadryl and IV steroids. Super, more pounds!! This go around I also received Phenergan because I have been having terrible nausea and dizziness along with headaches. So, lucky me I was given a pass to sleep through this 5 hour treatment. Yeah!!! Much better than the alternative; sitting in a recliner squirming for the entire time because that nagging stabbing pain in my lower back prevents me from being comfortable for more than 10 minutes at a time.  
As with every medication or foreign matter that’s put into our body we have to get acclimated. At least I have to. So this wonder treatment is not so wonderful for the next day or so. After every treatment there is the standard follow-up of Benadryl and Ibuprofin twice a day for two to three days. So, thanks to the steroids, I’m hyper dwarf for the first day and, thanks to the Benadryl, I’m sleepy dwarf after that.
Let me be perfectly honest, it sucks! But, then again, on the walk back to “my chair” I pass small rooms with cancer patients taking chemo treatments via port/shunt. Their hair is thin or gone. Their skin is pale and their eyes are sunken. They look tired and spent.
So, I could complain about my monthly treatment OR I can be extremely thankful I get to pass those tiny private rooms and plop my fanny in the big room with the six or so other folks like me who are interrupted with what is compared to be a minor inconvenience.
Someone told me recently, if we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back. ………all I can say to that is, AMEN!
Thanks for your time!
Love and prayers to all,
Skeeter
This is how I feel!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment