Saturday, September 24, 2011

Yes, I'll Take Those Ugly Shoes In A Size 8 1/2

Some might say I’m not the average woman. Above or below, your call, either way, doesn’t really matter to me. Reasons ~ Unlike most women, not even during that “time” of the month, I don’t care for chocolate. Really! Shopping happens for reasons of totally necessity. I don’t even have a charge card, unless you count my ChevronTexaco. Crazy, huh!?! Once upon a time, I got my greatest highs by pulling weeds from my flowers garden or creating a small landscape project at our home. Ridiculous! I know. What can I say? The small things in life make me extremely happy.
But today I MUST set out on a quest to find shoes. This is no biggie for the average person, especially women who shop till they drop and come home to show off their sassy new heels or totally cool boots. But I have a dilemma. I have to find shoes that, preferably, I can’t feel touch my toes, sole or the top of my feet. Not too much to ask for, right!
My bilateral foot condition, Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, causes constant pain in all areas of my feet, and at times knees and upper legs. The simple brush of a sheet or bath towel can cause terrible pain. The swelling prevents me from seeking a shoe with that “perfect” fit. My tootsies need room to swell and the shoes can’t wobble, because I once had a tendency to stand on the side of my foot. That has stopped! But still, I don’t want to fall back into old habits.  A few moments of incorrect posture can turn into the feeling of a broken ankle. Crazy, I know. The sole must have excellent padding because at times when the RSD is in high gear it feels as if I am walking over glass. No kidding. I walk lightly, which is hard to do lately seeing how all of these steroids are making my booty get bigger. So lucky me that puts even more pressure on my feet and therefor that bed of glass I must sometimes walk over seems to be sharper and sharper.
A typical shoe purchase would have few requirements; black, stylish pump that’s comfortable. Done! Bam!
But noooooooooo, I have a list of absolute musts! The shoes must stimulate circulation, align feet, ankles, knees and hips, create or restore optimal foot motion and posture, restore balance and allow my feet to move forward with as little lateral (side to side) motion as possible, extra depth, double or triple depth shoe with high toe box, firm heel counter and a rocker sole. NO PROBLEM! Bet!?!?!
My thinking for now is a pair of Crocs because the “toe area” is wide and I need that feature for certain. Keep in mind I cannot stand to feel anything touch my toes. L
I want stylish shoes, of course. But what are the chances I’ll return home today with shoes that fit the entire bill? So let me just warn you, my shoes will probably suck. If you see me walking around in an ugly pair of orthotics, go ahead and laugh. I’ll laugh right along with you. Sometimes that’s just all you can do, go with the flow.
I’ll head out this morning for what feels like a treasure hunt. Only thing is, I doubt I’ll find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow or at the shoe store.
To always find a bright side to my weekly or daily dilemma, I am extremely thankful for two feet that carry me where I need to go. It’s a painful journey, but a blessed one, nonetheless.
Thanks again for your time.
Love and prayers to all,
Skeeter



Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD)
Reflex Sympathetic Disorder, RSD or CRSD for short, is a chronic progressive neurological condition that affects skin, muscles, joints, and bones. The syndrome develops in an injured limb, such as a broken ankle or foot bone. The injury itself may be major or minor.  In some cases, no specific precipitating event can be identified.  The usual pattern of spread is up the same extremity and then may continue to spread on the same side of the body or to the opposite extremity. RSD has been known to spread to a distant site.
The “injured” area develops into various degrees of burning pain, excessive sweating, swelling, and sensitivity to touch.  The skin appears to be very thin and there will be a different appearance in the specific area, such as being red, swollen and warm to the touch.  There should be a loss of function in the area of injury, such as less range of motion, limping, etc.  Some RSD cases involve nerve injury and some do not.   The condition varies in how disabling is it.  To many, it is substantially disabling and to others it is minimally so.
Other names or similar foot conditions:
CRSD Complex regional pain syndrome
Symptoms:
Burning pain
Excessive sweating in injury area
Change in coloration of the injured area
Swelling and extreme sensitivity to touch
Signs to look for:
Overgrown and grooved nails
Swollen and stiff joints
Muscle weakness and atrophy
Change in coloration of the injured area
Swelling and extreme sensitivity to touch
Possible Causes:
Appears to involve an interaction of the sensory, motor, and autonomic nervous systems, and the immune system.
It is thought that brain and spinal cord (central nervous system) control over these various processes is somehow changed as a result of the injury.
The information has been compiled from sources available to the general public and referenced below.  Text: Podiatrychannel.com, rsds.org

No comments:

Post a Comment